Being a responsible adult can be really hard sometimes. Here are some things I like to do as self-care. Let me know in the comments below if there are other self-care activities you like to do that I didn’t mention! Happy reading!
- I bought an overpriced eye pillow a few weeks ago (I’ve only used it twice so far, but still twice is better than nothing!) If you don’t have an eye pillow, you can use two cucumber slices or even a damp paper towel. Sometimes you just need to lie down for 10-15 minutes with something over your eyes.
- Speaking of 10-15 minutes, sometimes I like to sit at my desk in my bedroom and stare into my front yard. I’m really lucky to have a front yard that is filled with flowers and nice trees.. very relaxing to look at! It can be so nice to get outside and get some fresh air, but even staring out into a nice view can do wonders.
- Paint your nails! It can be so calming to just focus on a really simple task (such as painting your nails) when there’s laundry to be done and finals to study for and phone calls to return and emails to be sent.
- Call a friend! Social support is so important. If you don’t like talking over the phone, you can always text someone or send a message via a social media network, i.e. a Facebook message.
- Have a dance party! Some fun songs I’m into at the moment include: “Stand by You” by Rachel Platten, “Fight Song” also by Rachel Platten, “Here’s to Never Growing Up” by Avril Lavigne, “Shut Up and Dance” by Walk the Moon, “First” by Cold War Kids and “Stiches” by Shawn Mendes.
- Watch your favorite TV show or a movie you enjoy. I love Jane the Virgin, Grey’s Anatomy, The Middle, Modern Family, and The Mindy Project. As for movies, I love Monica & David, The Parent Trap, Serendipity, and more. Lol.
- Paint or color in a coloring book. If you don’t have a coloring book and something to color with, even doodling on a piece of lined paper with a pen or pencil can be so relaxing!
- Exercise! Going for a walk or a run (either outside or on a treadmill) is a great way to de-stress and get your endorphins going!
- This one is a little weird, but I love to go to the drugstore and just peruse the greeting card section. Especially if my to-do list is really long, it’s a great way to stop and slow down fora moment.. because I like to open up the different cards and see which ones are funny and which ones are sweet.
- Take a yoga class or roll out a yoga mat and try some yoga poses at home. You can find videos on yoga poses on Youtube.
- Write in a diary. I love to journal because it’s a great way to express how you are feeling and you don’t have to worry about being judged by anyone because no one is going to read it!
- Light a candle. I love to light a candle and just watch the flame flicker. I’m not a fan of heavy scents, but I love vanilla or lavendar scented candles.
- Take a nap! If you have 20-30 minutes of free time in the afternoon, taking a nap can be a great way to recharge yourself.
- Unplug. Sometimes I take breaks from social media that can last anywhere from 3-4 days to a week. It can be so refreshing to unplug every now and then.
- Remember to be nice to yourself! We’re all just doing the best we can. These self-care tips can be good to refer to in times of stress, but remember to never feel guilty about taking care of yourself! Self-care isn’t selfish, it’s necessary. 🙂
“Be gentle with yourself, you’re doing the best you can” ❤